Reminder: Anything written on a blog is copyrighted; meaning that if someone copies or reproduces it without permission they are breaking the law. Please take that into consideration. Thank you

Friday, June 5, 2009

What's in a name...


Gabrina:

When I got Gabrina I had a lot of trouble remembering her name. I had to look at the papers quite a few times before I finally remembered it.

When people ask what her name is, they usually don't hear it right. She has been called anything from Kabrina to Sabrina to Katrina to Mabeana. Sometimes I think people are expecting an easy name so when I say Gabrina they are taken by suprise. There aren't a lot of things I can relate her name to so I tell people it's like Sabrina but with a 'G'. Then I usually go onto explain that I didn't get to choose her name. And that at Guide Dogs none of the dogs have the same name so there are some very unique names.

Meaning:

Its source is Gavriela, a Hebrew name meaning "Hero of God." My baby is a hero of God who is going to be a huge hero to someone someday.

Nicknames:

Gabrina Louise
Gabrina Anne

Garbina Anne Louise

Brina

Bina (Beana)

Baby

Baby B

Bina Boo
Princess

Princess Buttercup

Gabby

Gabrielle

Gaaaa-brina

Dorkable (dork and adorable)

Missy

Missy Poo

Babe

Big Girl

Knuckle Head

Baby Girl

Cutie

Cutie Pie

Beautiful

Beautiful Baby


And she answers to almost all of those!


Siblings:

Gardner:Its source is an English expression, "Gardiner." A Gardner.
Gilligan: Its source is a Gaelic expression meaning "Small boy."
Garth: Its source is gwared, a Welsh name meaning "Harmless."

Gilly: Its source is a Latin expression meaning "Jove's descendant."

4 comments:

Infrequent Flyers said...

The same thing happens to me with Cabana. Everyone thinks I'm saying Savannah. Sometimes, I'll say her name is Cabana, as in the Barry Manilow song, Copa Cabana. That helps people hear me more correctly.

Tabatha said...

I had a Gilligan from GDB =) He was cc'd for Alert barking though.

Madison said...

When I had Andros..I called him Andi and this old lady one time thought I said Sandy. She called him that for the rest of his time with me!

Briana said...

Everybody always thought it strange when I said Penelope's name because it's so long and they couldn't understand why we couldn't shorten it to Penny--and now that I have Brianna they still think it's weird because that's my name too! LOL but I go by a nickname most of the time.