Reminder: Anything written on a blog is copyrighted; meaning that if someone copies or reproduces it without permission they are breaking the law. Please take that into consideration. Thank you

Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's Official


Well it's official, Gabrina leaves July 12. It sounds like she will be going back at the same time as Gardner. Hopefully we can get them kennels right next to each other. I know that they will have lots of fun on their next big adventure.

I knew that Gabrina would be going back on the July truck, but now that the day is confirmed it feels too close! I only have about 6 more weeks with my baby. It seems like just yesterday that I was driving down to Denver to pick her up.

Now maybe it's just me, but I find it a little bit ironic that she is going back July 12, 2009. I picked her up on July 12, 2008. I am one of the few raisers that can say I had my puppy for exactly a year. And, there is a graduation on December 12, so maybe she is just a 12 baby.

I guess I don't really know what to write here. There is so much I want to get done before she leaves. I feel so rushed. I'm going to miss my baby. Does anyone have advice on how to say goodbye?

7 comments:

Infrequent Flyers said...

It's so nice Gabrina will be going back with Gardner. I'm sure it will help them a lot to be near each other during the transition. I know our time with Cabana will go by way too fast, and I'm sorry that I don't have any advice--other than to enjoy the next few weeks with Gabrina! Take lots of photos. Are you going to get another pup? I hear a lot of other raisers say that that's the best way to help with the turn in--have another one to bring home the same day.

Brittany said...

My big thing saying goodbye to my puppies is to take them out for a special "goodbye outing". We either go on a hike, or to their favorite place to be. Take a TON of pictures! I would suggest going through your pictures to see if there is anything you missed taking a picture of.

I second the "are you getting a new puppy" question!

I am sure Gabrina will do wonderfully, and having Gardner will be good for her. We will keep our fingers crossed that she flies through training, and is matched with that special person.

Maddie, Betsy, Jorinda, and Petuina said...

Thanks for the advice. I am going to look through my pictures tonight and decide what I want more of.

As for a new puppy, I am going to get a new one. I am really hoping for a black lab little boy, but I know can't control it.

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

Enjoy the next few weeks! I can assure you they will go by way too quickly. As for saying goodbye, I like to look back at everything my pup has accomplished. I also like to get in the mindset of "she's going away to complete her destiny and be a dream dog for someone" rather than "what will I do without her?".

Madison said...

I would say enjoy the last weeks and keep turn in out of you mind. I always think of it like they have a long journey and I was just a stop along the way. They need to leave so that they can get on with their adventure. It is hard, I always just cuddle up witht them on the last night and remember all the fun times we had and dream about all the fun times she will have. It's hard but when you see them all confident without you, you know you have done something great! You'll miss her, but someone else needs her!

Madison & CCI pup Butler

Emily and the Labradors said...

That's great that the Gabrina and her brother are going back together! It looks like Douglas will be joining them as well... I'm sure he will be going nuts with a recently in heat girl in his presence (girls are his real weakness)! I had forgotten that they had come on the 12th of July... how fun that we really will have had them for exactly a year!

Not sure what to tell you as far as preparing for her departure... I'm not very good at that and always cry! I find that after the pup has left working on their scrapbook helps me though.

Anna said...

Aww, Miss Gabrina will do well in training, I bet! It's always fun to see the phase reports every week, and as a puppy raiser, we wait on pins and needles to see it!

Are you going to be getting another puppy? That sometimes helps to keep your mind occupied and not always thinking of Gabrina - however if you aren't, just to know that Gabrina will be helping someone else that needs her more than you will help to ease the goodbye.

I'm Anna - also a freshman (well - now a sophomore!) puppy raiser. I'm on my fifth puppy, female yellow lab Avani. Let me know if you would like to read my blog and I can send you an invite! (Email me at finkea(at)gmail(dot)com)